Here I Go I’m On A Plane

Here I Go I’m On A Plane
Spring and fall.

I love spring and I love the fall. It gets crazy around here in the spring and in the fall.

Remember last September and October? (Natalie I know you are smiling… or cringing!) I was flying back and forth from one Signing Time event to another, stopping in Salt Lake City for the birth of a baby, or two… or three. Aaron and I rented a car and drove all night, arriving in Colorado just in time to grab a coffee from Starbucks and do my sound check at the Oh Baby Expo, while my friend Natalie endured how many days of labor??? Three? I don’t even know… but it was long enough for me to start out in Oregon, come to Utah, drive to Colorado and then fly back to Utah in time for the birth.

The busy season is starting. The calls are out to Marcus. My flights, cars and hotels are set.

This Friday I take off for 10 days. Then I come home for 4 days and leave again for 3 more days. Thankfully, I love traveling and the uncertainty of wake-up calls. I love highly chlorinated pools 😉 and fresh towels and fresh sheets every day. I love the view from hotel room windows, no matter where I am. I also love seeing new places and familiar ones. I love meeting all of you, hearing your stories, and sharing mine.

Here’s the run down for April and May. Hopefully I’ll see some of you out there!

Friday, April 24 – 4:00 pm
YUCCA VALLEY LIBRARY

57098 29 Palms Hwy in Yucca Valley, CA 92284
Join me for our 2nd annual singing, signing and story event at The Yucca Valley Library.
This is a free event, open to the public.

Saturday, April 25 – 11:00 am
Sunday, April 26 – 11:30 am
BABY & TWEEN CELEBRATION LOS ANGELES

Los Angeles Convention Center, South Hall, Hall K
Join me for my 3rd annual appearance at this fun and funky baby expo! I will be singing, signing and sharing how sign language is beneficial to all children of all abilities.
After each performance I will be at The Signing Time Booth for autographs and pictures.

Tickets: $10 per adult
For more information, please visit Baby & Tween Celebration LA

Thursday, April 30, 2009
I will be in Florida for a private and REALLY cool event! SHHHHHHH! I can’t wait until I can tell you all about it and show you the pictures!

Saturday, May 2, 2009 – 1:00 pm
BABY TIME EXPO – LAS VEGAS

South Point Hotel – The Events Stage
9777 Las Vegas Blvd South
Las Vegas, NV 89183
Wondering How To Sign With Your Little One? I will be sharing the benefits of signing with your babies and toddlers and walking you through how to start. Signing and signing included, of course.

Tickets: $6 per adult
For more information visit Baby Time Expo Las Vegas

Friday, May 8, 2009 – 7:00 pm
Vegas PBS Ready To Learn Family Concert

The Rainbow Library Amphitheater
3150 N. Buffalo Dr., at the corner of Buffalo and Cheyenne
Join me and Hopkins for our 3rd annual Vegas PBS event! This is one of my favorite events each year.

Bring a blanket and bring a picnic to this fun outdoor show. The amphitheater has limited seating, only a few thousand so PLEASE be sure to arrive early. I am not kidding. We fill it to maximum capacity every year and once the fire department even stopped by because they were worried had let too many families in!! What can I say? Signing Time and Vegas PBS Ready To Learn sure know how to throw a party!

Stick around for meet and greet opportunities after the concert. I mean, haven’t you always wanted to meet Hopkins?
For more information please visit: Vegas PBS Ready To Learn

Saturday, May 16, 2009 – 10:00 am
Association for Deaf Children 5K/1 Mile Walk

Draper City Park, North Pavilion
12500 South 1300 East
Draper, Utah 84020
Hopkins and I will be performing after the run, before the medals ceremony.

ADC sponsored my second trip to Ghana, Africa in 2008. This is great organization that that provides activities and services for deaf children in Utah.

For more information visit: www.dodeaf.org to sign up, volunteer or donate!

So…. Where IS Rachel?

Every single time I do an event… within 24 hours of that event, someone will email, or post, or call, or tweet saying, “Hey I would just love it if you did an event in _________!” (fill in the name of the town where I JUST performed). To keep this from happening to you, we have provided a number of ways for you to figure out where I am going and when I am performing…

1. Check our Signing Time Events Calendar for shows near you. This is found on our home page at www.signingtime.com

2. Visit our Signing Time Forums and read the thread “Where Is Rachel?”

3. Subscribe to the Signing Time Corporate Blog

4. Subscribe to our Signing Time Newsletter and we will send you an email letting you know when I am traveling near your town. Just enter your email address on our home page where it says “Newsletter and Promotions”

5. Follow ST_Rachel on Twitter.com (This is where I gave away free tickets to Baby & Tween Celebration)

6. Subscribe to my blog www.signingtime.com/rachel

7. Come to The Signing Time Chat on Wednesday nights 7-9 pm Mountain.

8. Join the Signing Time page on Facebook. The official page has a picture of me, Alex and Leah with the Signing Time logo in the corner. It says Signing Time (website)

If you do all of the above and you still miss me when I show up at your child’s elementary school, local educational conference, or Down syndrome Buddy Walk… I will be shocked! So, please stay on top of it and check back often 🙂 Because, I just cannot remember where you all live. Sorry. I just can’t. 😉

The flip side is, if you or your organization book an event, we put the word out about it through all of those Signing Time channels. Cool eh? Oh, and if you want to book me in spring or fall… or winter or summer for that matter… get in touch ASAP!

And so my friends, my orange shoes are packed and I am putting together my/your set lists. Yes, I fly with scissors (and blue and orange electrical tape) in my carry-on. That’s how I roll;)

This entry was posted in Behind the Signing Time Scenes by Rachel Coleman. Bookmark the permalink.

About Rachel Coleman

The opinions and late night musings published on this blog are Rachel de Azevedo Coleman's alone, and are not ever intended to represent the opinions and sentiments of any organization or product that Rachel is, was, or will be associated with. Rachel Coleman is the creator and Emmy-nominated host of Signing Time!, the children's American Sign Language vocabulary building series. She is also the creator and host of Baby Signing Time, Rachel & the TreeSchoolers, and Rachel & Me. Rachel now serves as the Executive Director of the American Society for Deaf Children, a 501c3 nonprofit established in 1967 by parents of deaf children. ASDC is the American Sign Language organization for families who are raising deaf children. www.deafchildren.org Motivated by her child, Leah's deafness, Rachel has spent the last 18 years creating ASL products to help bridge the communication barrier between hearing and signing communities. In 2006 Rachel founded the Signing Time Foundation, a 501c3 non-profit dedicated to putting communication in the hands of all children of all abilities. In 2014, the Signing Time Foundation launched a 50-Lesson online ASL curriculum called "Sign It: ASL Made Easy" that is available free-of-charge to families with deaf or hard of hearing children ages 36 months and under. Apply at www.mydeafchild.org. For those who do not qualify to receive Sign It ASL for free, they can find it for purchase at very reasonable rates on www.SignItASL.com. Rachel and her husband, Aaron, live in Salt Lake City Utah. They are parents to Leah who was born profoundly deaf, and is now a senior in college at NTID/RIT in Rochester, NY. They are also parents to Lucy who has spina bifida and cerebral palsy, and recently graduated high school. In 2010 the Colemans were joyfully reunited with Rachel's daughter Laura. Rachel is proud to be Laura's birth mom. Laura was placed for adoption as an infant in 1992 when Rachel was 17 years-old.

16 thoughts on “Here I Go I’m On A Plane

1. You mean you will be coming all the way to FL and it is a private event I won’t even be able to attend?! That stinks.

Oh well, have fun and enjoy the weather. It is beautiful in FL this time of year!

2. Hi Rachel,
    We watch you, Alex, Leah and Hopkins at my home 2x sometimes 3x a day. Nicolas says, “Time?” (pointing to his wrist). We are so exited to see you’ll be in LA on Saturday. I’ll make sure Nicolas and I can get there early to meet you in the Signing Time booth, and then sing & sign with you at 11!!! See you then 🙂

3. Seriously… you need to make that Florida event UnPrivate!!!! How can you come all the way down here and we cant even see you? If you are anywhere near Tampa, let me know! I’ll be in the airport on Thursday so I will be keeping an eye out for you just in case!

4. Hi Rach,

This is Rachael. I just wanted to express my sincere sense of gratitude for signing time. Last November I really wanted Signing Time, not just one, but at least one collection. I listen to the chaos of opinions around me sometimes too much. However, I finally prioritized and put Signing Time (collection one) in our budget. I always feel guilty because I don’t buy my kids a bunch of crap toys. I can’t. However, I took your day-after-thanksgiving sale and bought a collection. I have not looked back!!!

Since then, Bethany’s vocabulary has boomed! She’s a “normal” child, but I wanted to teach her sign. The benefits are huge! I love how she always wants to tell or sign me what she’s learning. She just turned 2 last week and isn’t your normal child. She’s on her way to reading, signs (only when I don’t understand her english), and she sports her pretty underwear with pride. I really believe signing helped us build a strong connection with each other and learning. Learning is fun, signing if fun, and signing totally helps.

Thank you!!! Thank you for putting hours of tears, swet and smiles into Signing Time. I love it! I hope to add to our collection come Christmas time. Signing Time has been one of my best investments for my children.

5. Hi~ How do I subscribe to the corporate blog? I couldn’t find a “subscribe” link there. Your page has one, though…?

6. Jennifer S: Yep, I am coming all the way to FL and the event is private. He who pays the piper picks the tune.

Gisele: I’ll be at the booth after the performance, probably not right before it. Because when I have done that, I can’t actually get to the stage on time 🙂

SpaLadyBrie: Flying in to Orlando. And good job clicking on all of the links! See, it’s only secret if you don’t search for the info.

Rachael: Wait… you feel guilty because you don’t buy crap toys? That’s a good thing!
    I’m so glad you feel that Signing Time was one of the best investments.

Julie Southern: Mine has a button at the top that says “Subscribe” and… hmmm maybe you can’t subscribe to the company blog. Let me check.

7. Hey Rachel. My family loves what you and your family have done with Signing Time. I was noticing that you’ll be in Draper in May. I was wondering though, it says Saturday May 18th, but the 16th is Saturday, and the 18th is Monday. 🙂 Just thought that might be helpful. I’m assuming you mean the 16th though. Anyways, we might have to come up that do the 5K. Sounds like it’d be tons of fun!! Thanks for all you do!

8. Hooray!!! So excited you’ll be in LA again. My daughter’s interest in signing is still increasing. She now asks for help to make sure she’s doing a sign just right. And will ask me for new signs every week. I can barely keep up. She’s almost two now, and I know she’ll be thrilled to see you again.

9. Rachel,

I had a blast seeing you today in LA! My girls thought it was the coolest thing in the world. My oldest Kelcie, has told all of our neighbors about her visit with you. I loved how she came and gave you a hug it was just so adorable. It was like she new you forever. I hope you come back next year so my Middle child Chaley, will be just as excited as Kelcie was.
    My husband and I wanted to tell you how much we are thrilled that you started the Signing time videos. I Still remember how crazy my Husband and Mom thought I was when I ordered the Baby Signing Time videos. Well Now 3 years later We have The whole Collection From videos to the posters. My Mom Brags About her grand kids to everyone and tells them it’s all cuz of Signing Time. I can’t remember off thee top of my head what video it that you say “How Did You Get So Smart?” but every time I hear it I Say “From You Rachel!” A few weeks ago I Got in an argument about T.V. being bad for children under the age of two… Well, we will just say I won. 😉 We love you Alex, Leah, and Hopkins. Thank you for being “The Best Mom in the World!” You have really blessed our family and many others.

Thanks
    Desiree
    and the rest of the ‘Ski’s!!

10. Hi Rachel! Thanks for coming to FL and for speaking at the Kennedy Space Center! My husband was able to attend (remember Tim in the orange shirt?) and had a great time! He was able to get a DVD copy of your speech so I was able to enjoy it as well. Thanks so much for great DVDs! We enjoy them as a family so much! Hope you enjoyed your tour of KSC, it is an amazing place!

11. Diane: I always enjoy coming to Southern California, it’s home for me! Plus, I always seem to be there for sunshine when it is raining at home. Hope you enjoyed Baby Celebration.

Carrie: How could I forget Tim? He is a true fan! I hope I didn’t embarrass him. Have him get in touch with Bonni, I left an autograph for him and some Signing Time temporary tattoos with her.

The tour was AMAZING! We had such a great time and were well taken care of at the Kennedy Space Center. Wow! What an experience~

12. Just wanted to share that my daughter, who is 2yo with Down’s, is in the hospital with pneumonia and has been screaming all morning (through her bi-pap) with outrage. I put on Signing Times video and she settled down immediately.

Thanks for your work.

13. Hi, I never knew anything about your series until this year.

Anyway I read alot about you and I think what you did was great, blah, blah, [all of that stuff you typically here from fans, thanking and praising your work].

Your daughters are adorable! I’m so envious of those who are lucky enough to know you and your family in Real life.

No in my family takes me seriously when I speak of tapping into the potential of babies, teaching them to sign, read, do math, go potty, etc early on so I’m glad to see that there are people out there who not only believe in some of my ideas, but are doing them and showing the world their results.

Whatever happened to Alex though? Just wondering because we never hear about him anymore. I know you said he does voice work or something of that nature. Does he still sign?

14. Rachel,
    I have 2 children 4 and 2. Neither of them is deaf, but they love to watch your show. Recently we had a storm and lost of the shows that I taped. Do you have any idea when you will be putting them back on PBS? They used to be on on Sunday mornings. Please let me know.

-Kendra